Maintenance and service initiative for gross pollutant traps
Throughout Australia, gross pollutant traps are being installed into the stormwater collection system to avoid pollutants reaching and polluting the waterways. Although it is mandatory to put GPTs in place during the building phase, there is no concept or maintenance scheme in place to assure they function correctly. As a consequence, about 50,000 tonnes (25,000 tonnes per 6 month) of pollutants are being washed into the stormwater collection systems and consequently into the waterways.
Emptying, maintaining and service the GPTs is the only viable solution to the problem. As long as there are no regulations and re-enforcement in place, all building owners would need to voluntarily enter into service contracts.
At the moment this requires individual negotiations with service providers as there is no standard for cleaning GPTs.
A group of people consisting of water and wastewater experts, trade waste inspectors, engineers and politicians has developed a concept to solve the existing problem by implementing a number of measures:
- Engage with national service providers, negotiate and agree on standard terms for the cleaning and maintenance of GPTs.
- Provide maintenance and service instructions for existing GPTs.
- Offer a centralised call centre service to assist facility managers in finding and engaging a suitable service provider.
- Offer incentives for customers to enter into long-term maintenance contracts.
- Cooperating with councils to identify ways to raise the stormwater quality.
- Cooperating with manufacturers to provide suitable information and support for their products.
- Interacting and participating with water boards and building associations initiatives to raise awareness of the problem.
Toowoomba Regional Council's Yarraman WTP struggled with trihalomethane failures until new...
OPEC Systems has been named Australian Technology Company of the Year for its innovation in...
With the advance of Industry 4.0, the role of the drive has evolved from that of a pure power...