Energy savings winning at Melbourne Cricket Ground
Australia’s iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) has, over a seven-year period, achieved high energy, cost and emissions savings under the energy performance contract (EPC) between Siemens and the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC).
MCC CEO Stuart Fox said the MCC has saved over $5m in energy costs and reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 50,089 t in the seven-year period.
The MCG stadium has also:
- achieved 120% return of guaranteed financial value
- saved 119% on guaranteed electricity value and 157% on guaranteed water value
- saved enough electricity to power the light towers for nearly six years.
The announcement of the results comes after the launch of MCC’s 2022–25 Sustainability Plan, focusing on tacking climate change.
The new seven-year EPC includes further savings such as the replacement of chillers, implementation of Siemens’ patented Demand Flow optimisation strategy for the entire chilled water system, monitoring and optimisation of car park ventilation systems and digitalisation technology to manage peak electricity usage and other works.
Peter Halliday, CEO of Siemens Australia and New Zealand, said, “Achieving net zero requires a multi-pronged approach and the work done by MCC is a great example of how buildings, one of the highest consumers of energy, can drive positive environmental outcomes and positive business outcomes.”
The first EPC works done by Siemens at the MCG include:
- replacing the existing lighting systems with low-energy lighting technologies
- installing a new building management system
- implementing changes to heating and ventilation systems
- installing new chilled water systems and modernised room control systems.
Pilot program for carbon-neutral energy management
DENSO Corporation has announced its launch of a pilot program to test a new energy management...
Supply chain model for hydrogen energy industry
Researchers have created a supply chain model that could empower the international hydrogen...
Mercedes F1 team to shift to biofuel
Mercedes-AMG Formula One team PETRONAS and its logistics partners are working to deliver a fully...