O-I champions glass as consumer favourite
CEOs, environmentalists and parents have joined an Owens-Illinois (O-I) marketing campaign to champion glass as a sustainable consumer choice.
The Glass Is Life campaign is designed to showcase the unique and unmatched qualities of glass packaging to build successful food and beverage brands. A first-ever global initiative, the campaign also highlights the inherent love consumers have for glass.
“O-I’s extensive research shows a strong demand for glass among consumers, but the marketplace does not adequately reflect this interest. We aim to influence the food and beverage industry’s packaging decisions by showing the power of glass,” said Al Stroucken, Chairman and CEO of O-I. “As the leading maker of the purest and most sustainable packaging, O-I is excited to spearhead a movement that demonstrates the unique attributes of glass packaging and brings brands back into glass.”
Thought leaders around the world have joined in to share their passion for glass. These voices for glass include:
- Sanpellegrino S.p.A. Chairman and CEO Stefano Agostini, who says glass showcases the quality of the S. Pellegrino brand.
- Monini Olive Oil CEO Zefferino Monini, who chooses glass because it best preserves the flavour of the product.
- Environmentalist Celine Cousteau, granddaughter of Jacques Cousteau, who prefers glass because it is natural, healthy and sustainable.
- true fruits Co-Founder Nic Lecloux, who says glass demonstrates the quality and sophistication of his premium product.
- Bundaberg Brewed Drinks CEO John McLean, who bottles his drinks in glass so they stand out on the shelf.
- Agua del Nacimiento CEO Juan Gabriel Gonzalez, who says glass is the only packaging that shows the clarity and purity of Colombia’s best water.
Based on business and consumer research, O-I has determined that taste, quality, health and sustainability represent the glass attributes that resonate most strongly with consumers around the world.
In a global study first commissioned by O-I in November 2008, consumers said that when faced with the option between glass and other packaging, they will choose glass first and would like to see more glass packaging options. For example, in the food category, 91% of consumers around the globe indicated they prefer glass, but only about 10% of foods are packaged in glass. O-I is working closely with customers around the world to increase the availability of food and beverage products in glass.
In the US, as recently as April 2011, nearly 70% of 1000 Americans surveyed said that if they could purchase their favourite food or beverage in any container, they would choose glass. Additionally, 90% said they agree with the statement that glass is the healthiest packaging available because it does not leach into the product. And 85% said food and beverages taste better when packaged in glass containers.
Erasmo Schutzer, Vice-President and Chief Marketing Officer for O-I, said: “Together we’ll show how glass preserves flavour, maintains health, enhances quality, protects the environment and builds brands.”
This month, O-I’s Glass Is Life advertisements will launch in 12 countries and seven languages. To view videos, infographics and images, or to join the glass conversation on Facebook and Twitter, visit www.GlassIsLife.com.
The online submissions period to nominate speakers for the ARBS 2024 seminar program will close...
As the event starts to draw closer, the All-Energy Australia program has been released, headlined...
The Australian Institute of Packaging will be continuing its partnership with Waste Expo 2023,...